The Oath of the Drowned is an oath which is taken by the desperate, which may turn reluctant. When a person dies to the oceans from drowning, they may bag and plead the gods for mercy. These people may be revived as drowned paladins. Their personalities shifted, and their life restored. Now, these paladins fight the monsters of the ocean and try to prevent others from the same fate as them. Despite this, most adore water and especially the open sea.
Tenets of the Drowned
The tenets of the drowned are moral guides that are ingrained into a drowned paladin upon their reincarnation. They simply have strong feelings towards these things, as the gods must have forced them into the person. Some say this is proof that the drowned paladins have given up free will for another life, and as such, they will always die to the sea once more.
- Save the Drowning. The worst death a person can experience, I would never wish it upon even the most vile of villains.
- Allegiance to Friends. A crew is nothing without honesty and loyalty. I will place the well being of my crew higher than even my own.
- Never Stagnate. As the waters flow endless, so too will I. To stop and never change is proof that I will never improve.
- Parlay. No person, however vile, should be deprived the act of parlay. Conflicts can be resolved through words instead of weapons.
- Never Maroon. To be left alone and abandoned is perhaps the most tragic of situations. To leave a person alone without any hopes is the most vile of actions any person can do.
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.
|3rd||Thunderous Smite, Heroism|
|5th||Gust of Wind, Misty Step|
|9th||Water Breathing, Aura of Vitality|
|13th||Control Water, Freedom of Movement|
|17th||Cone of Cold, Raise Dead|
Channel Divinity Level: 3
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Turn the Sea. As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer censuring aquatic and amphibious creatures, using your Channel Divinity. Each aquatic or amphibious creature that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage.
A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.
Conquer the Water. As an action you can cause swirling water to launch out from your holy symbol and latch onto 4 creatures, which can include yourself. All creatures chosen can choose to gain a swim speed of 40 feet. This effect lasts for an amount of hours equal to your Charisma modifier.
Aura of Humidity Level: 7
Beginning at 7th level, you have an aura of humidity around you. The area within 10 feet of you in considered to be difficult terrain. You can choose to exclude specific creatures from this effect.
In addition to this, you feel comfortable in temperatures as high as 125 degrees Fahrenheit, and are unaffected by humidity.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.
Dancing Water Weapon Level: 15
Beginning at 15th level, you can harvest water to extend your reach. As a bonus action you can have pillars of swirling water grab onto one or two melee weapons from your hands and carry them away. Your reach with those melee weapons is increased by 20 feet. In addition to the extra reach, the water carrying the weapons assists in the fight. When you make an attack with a dancing weapon it deals an additional 1d6 bludgeoning damage as the water jets out at the creature as well.
The weapons will dance for an amount of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier, after which the weapons will return to your hands. If your hands are full, they fall at your feet.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it against until you finish a short or long rest.
Stormy Waters Level: 20
Beginning at 20th level, as an action you can cause the ground within 30 feet of you to bubble and flow with water. For 1 minute you gain the following benefits:
- When a creature moves within 30 feet of you, you can cause a geyser to erupt under their feet as a reaction. They must make a Dexterity saving throw or be flung 30 feet into the air.
- You can use your action to cause watery weapons to attack all creatures of your choice within 30 feet. You make a spell attack roll against all creatures in the area, and on a success you deal 1d8 + your Charisma modifier in bludgeoning damage.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it against until you finish a long rest.